During the early part of this century the Whisky industry began to change, a change that represented an opportunity for a new Scotch malt Whisky distillery with a fresh and forward looking approach.
While searching for a suitable location for the construction of this new distillery a number of possible locations were examined. One of the possible locations was the location of the former Prinlaws Mill on the banks of the river Leven, on the outskirts of Leslie in Fife. The banks of the river Leven are full of old mills all taking their power from the steady flow of the river fed from loch Leven in Kinross-shire to the west.
The historic Prinlaws mill built in 1829 was owned and operated by a company called John Fergus & Co. In 1957 the company ceased trading and the mill was all demolished except for a tall red brick chimbly stack. This stack was erected when the mill was converted to coal power. The coal being taken from the nearby coal mines.